Sustainability is a common buzz-word that everyone wants, but few know what it is and how to achieve it.
In our opinion, FLOW is one of the basic elements of SUSTAINABILITY. FLOW is the constant horizontal and vertical movement of the trail- the trail is always moving up, down, and side to side. From a design, management, and rider standpoint, the benefits of creating flow are plentiful and positive.
- Tangents are minimized and curves are maximized creating a serpentine trail.
- Horizontal curves provide potential drainage points.
- Vertical curves provide grade reversals- the best drainage possible.
- The two together reduce tread watershed sizes and therefore reduce erosion and sedimentation potential.
- Twisting and turning allow the trail to lay lightly on the landscape.
- Shorter sight distances reduce speed, thereby increasing seat time and decreasing potential tread impacts.
- For the mountain biker or single-tracker, flow provides momentum- often referred to as FLOWMENTUM.
- Flowmentum significantly increases the fun factor of the rider.
- Flowmentum reduces braking and acceleration which reduces tread impacts and maintenance.
- Flow constantly changes the viewshed of the rider which increases the enjoyment of the rider.
- Flow allows the designer to focus the eye of the rider on views and unique objects and away from sensitive objects/areas.
- When riders get what they want ON the trail, they don’t look for it OFF the trail.
- With these simple techniques, we can better manage the riders and the use.
With our experience, vision, and creativity, we craft:
GREAT OHV OPPORTUNITIES
GREAT RECREATION EXPERIENCES